Biggest change from last year?

More
1 month 1 day ago #177 by L17Tim
L17Tim replied the topic: Biggest change from last year?

Dweeb wrote: I have become obsessed with playing guitar, and with guitars in general. I still suck, but expect even more completely gratuitous guitar solos than usual.

If being proficient at guitar was a prerequisite, I would never record anything ever.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tonyhogard

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 month 1 day ago #178 by ali_kilpatrick
ali_kilpatrick replied the topic: Biggest change from last year?

L17Tim wrote:

Dweeb wrote: I have become obsessed with playing guitar, and with guitars in general. I still suck, but expect even more completely gratuitous guitar solos than usual.

If being proficient at guitar was a prerequisite, I would never record anything ever.

Right there with you! As it happens I've somehow fallen into becoming a guitarist in a band this past year so I was planning on less guitar for RPM... eh, we know how that'll turn out :lol:

More
1 month 1 day ago #181 by robertjames1971
robertjames1971 replied the topic: Biggest change from last year?
Last year I had recently purchases a couple of fuzz pedals.

This year I have managed to purchase a whole bunch more.

Hi, I'm Robert and I'm a fuzz pedal addict.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ali_kilpatrick, Ian James, Atlanta Trash Collective

More
1 month 1 day ago #186 by Tired
Tired replied the topic: Biggest change from last year?
Last year mine was too short, too murky and had no structure. This year I'm going to meet the requirements and make something that's easier to listen to.

And to do it, I'm going to learn how to play slide guitar.
The following user(s) said Thank You: alkanetexe

More
1 month 1 day ago #187 by L17Tim
L17Tim replied the topic: Biggest change from last year?

Tired wrote: And to do it, I'm going to learn how to play slide guitar.

Because nothing screams "listenable" like the phrase "guy learning to play slide guitar". :P

I'm a truly dreadful slide player. If you start to figure out some trick on slide playing, please share them. I'd love to add it to my arsenal, but all attempts thus far have been, well, bad.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tired

More
1 month 1 day ago #188 by Tired
Haha! You are absolutely right. I have found if I keep it simple, use a bit of reverb and delay, and a lot of compression, it sounds ok. I won't be trying to be a blues rock star.

More
1 month 1 day ago #189 by daedae
daedae replied the topic: Biggest change from last year?

L17Tim wrote:

Because nothing screams "listenable" like the phrase "guy learning to play slide guitar". :P

I'm a truly dreadful slide player. If you start to figure out some trick on slide playing, please share them. I'd love to add it to my arsenal, but all attempts thus far have been, well, bad.

Have you tried playing it in dobro position instead of like a guitar?

One of my guitar teachers in college kept trying to get me into slide guitar, but I could never find a correctly-sized slide for my pinky (nevermind the pinky dexterity to actually control it).

More
1 month 1 day ago #190 by Tired

L17Tim wrote:

Also, I got a dedicated guitar for slide, with raised action (not too high to fret, but higher than I normally use). It's a coodercaster style guitar with a lapsteel pickup, tuned in open D. I have been wanting to learn slide for a while, so I went whole hog and bought the coodercaster and an origin sliderig. I figure I will focus all my practice/noodle time on this and if I don't get better in a few months, I'm a lost cause/

More
1 month 1 day ago #191 by Tired

daedae wrote: One of my guitar teachers in college kept trying to get me into slide guitar, but I could never find a correctly-sized slide for my pinky (nevermind the pinky dexterity to actually control it).

Have you looked at The Rock Slide? Tapered on the inside with a cutout for your knuckle. I'm thinking of buying a couple of the ball tip brass ones in medium and small so I can decide if I'm going to use my pinky or my ring finger. With my ill-fitting slides, ring finger works best but I'd love to use my pinky and save my ring finger for dampening and fretting.

More
1 month 16 hours ago #195 by transitapparent
transitapparent replied the topic: Biggest change from last year?
Biggest change? I spent the first part of the year working while preparing to move my family from Md to Va. I took a months vacation and traveled then spent the second half of the year working and cleaning up the mess my tenants left in my house. I guess the biggest change would be the fact that playing guitar has unfortunately been an afterthought this past year so it might take the whole month to get my chops back.

Time to create page: 0.357 seconds