Sampling our own 'legacy' material?

More
3 weeks 2 days ago #378 by el-bo
el-bo created the topic: Sampling our own 'legacy' material?
Hi,

Just wondering if we are allowed to sample our own material, with the aim of using said samples, breaks , sections etc. for new compositions.

I am sure i'm not the only one who has a hard-drive full of unfinished/barely-started projects. I've thought for a while now that it would be interesting to pick through this material with a sampler, almost like going through an old box of records, and making collages/compositions with the spoils.

I'm hoping this will be viewed in the same way as using Apple loops etc/, and still fall under the rule of not using previously recorded material.

Not sure if this will be the direction I will go in, but I'm definitely tempted.

What say ye?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 weeks 2 days ago #379 by klandry
klandry replied the topic: Sampling our own 'legacy' material?
Oh, as for sampling yourself, I say go for it.

More
3 weeks 2 days ago #380 by onewordheadline
onewordheadline replied the topic: Sampling our own 'legacy' material?

klandry wrote: Oh, as for sampling yourself, I say go for it.

Seconded. Go crazy. I'm straight up rearranging old material.

More
3 weeks 2 days ago #381 by L17Tim
L17Tim replied the topic: Sampling our own 'legacy' material?

el-bo wrote: I'm hoping this will be viewed in the same way as using Apple loops etc/, and still fall under the rule of not using previously recorded material.

It's not like the RPM police are going to come to your door or anything. Well, maybe not....

You're working in the spirit of RPM. You're not using outside material and you're creating something new. Sounds like a great and creative project. Go for it.

More
3 weeks 2 days ago #385 by el-bo
el-bo replied the topic: Sampling our own 'legacy' material?
Thanks for the replies, guys!

Only decided to jump in this afternoon, so I'm still scrambling to think about concepts. Maybe, once again, I'll just throw my balls to the wall to see if they stick (Maybe I'll name my album 'Mixed Metaphors') :)

Thanks again,
e

More
3 weeks 2 days ago #387 by el-bo

L17Tim wrote: It's not like the RPM police are going to come to your door or anything. Well, maybe not....

That sounds like it could be fun, though.

More
3 weeks 2 days ago #397 by IronAngel
IronAngel replied the topic: Sampling our own 'legacy' material?
It's a neat idea, run it!

In the "olden days of yore" I think RPM started as a challenge for local bar band types (anyone feel free to correct me if Im wrong here). Basically a "put up or shut up" for all those guys saying "one of these days we are gonna write an album!"

As it moved on and got wider scope, RPM expanded beyond the "bar basher" sorts of bands, and into areas like sampling that were at that time still pretty underground and such. The idea of sampling your own stuff actually seems right in the spirit of RPM as well as potentially becoming a really cool micro subgenra, though a few bands do go back and "re-imagine" their work (Monster Magnet, Im looking at you - and I LOVE those albums).

You might start a trend!

More
3 weeks 2 days ago - 3 weeks 2 days ago #400 by el-bo

IronAngel wrote: It's a neat idea, run it!

Thanks, man!

Still not sure if I will go with it, for a few reasons:

1) Not sure if my sampling technique/workflow/chops are up to the job. Sampling is not something I've done much of. Of course, that could make the whole thing more fun, or maybe just very frustrating.

2) It's an idea that I've thought of doing before. I was getting into 'Prefuse 73' at the time, and always loved 'Four Tet', and thought how fun it might be to dig in my own sample crate. In that style, however, 28 days would likely never get me past the second track :dry:

3) Going to be doing a juice/water fast to improve some health issues. This might mean me not being able to do anything much at all.

Anyway, these are all just pre-challenge doubts. Going to muck around today, trying a few different workflow options, to see if I have a chance of pulling it off (:whistle: )
Last Edit: 3 weeks 2 days ago by el-bo. Reason: To remove copyrighted material

More
3 weeks 1 day ago #427 by Nail_Grinder
Nail_Grinder replied the topic: Sampling our own 'legacy' material?
I'll echo else and say go for it. Why not.

I've actually thought about doing the exact same thing with my old unfinished material. But I don't think I'm going to attempt that project for the challenge this time around.

More
3 weeks 1 day ago - 3 weeks 1 day ago #430 by Lunarsight
Lunarsight replied the topic: Sampling our own 'legacy' material?

el-bo wrote: Hi,

Just wondering if we are allowed to sample our own material, with the aim of using said samples, breaks , sections etc. for new compositions.

What say ye?

Yeah - I think that's a cool idea. I don't think there are any cold, hard rules for this. There are no RPM Referees that will give you a five yard penalty or anything like that.

I have ten years worth of old RPM projects, and I was interested in taking older tracks, and rebuilding them from scratch, letting them go in entirely different directions. There's also a mountain of unreleased songs that never got developed.
Last Edit: 3 weeks 1 day ago by Lunarsight. Reason: OCD + Missing Verbs

Time to create page: 0.380 seconds