Sampling our own 'legacy' material?

More
3 weeks 1 day ago #431 by IronAngel
IronAngel replied the topic: Sampling our own 'legacy' material?
I about lost it on the ref/5 yard penalty... it's RPM though, I think it would be more like:

"There is a flag on the play. Oversharing and roughing the listener. Two beer penalty, first down!"
The following user(s) said Thank You: tonyhogard, Lunarsight

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 weeks 1 day ago #447 by el-bo
el-bo replied the topic: Sampling our own 'legacy' material?
Thanks again, everybody, for your thoughts.

I spent most of yesterday demoing 'Geist 2', as that seems to offer the most comprehensive feature-set for sampling work. Unfortunately, the inability to save presets etc, meant that I couldn't really explore, build etc (Times out after 30 minutes.

I ended up buying it, as ordering it via JRRshop bought the price down to 70 euros.

There is another twist to the story - I ordered a Roli Rise. Not sure how long it will take to arrive, but it would certainly seem to dictate a different direction for my RPM project.

So I have another question, and didn't think it worth starting another thread for: Is it possible to split the required song amount/running time between different projects i.e one E.P of the sampled shenanigans, and one of some more ambient/sound-tracky/orchestral-type tomfoolery?

I may end up just trying a couple of re-sampled tracks as proof of concept, but then leave that as a project to do next year when I'm a lot more familiar with the workflow.

In the meantime -It's already lunchtime on day 1, and I'm yet to open a DAW. Oh RPM! How I love thee.

More
3 weeks 1 day ago #449 by IronAngel
IronAngel replied the topic: Sampling our own 'legacy' material?
I have done so in the past, and will have a couple "bonus" songs in the basic 10-13 Im planning on from a separate project - I think a few others have done "split" ep's of two different styles/projects in the past

More
3 weeks 23 hours ago #450 by el-bo

IronAngel wrote: I have done so in the past, and will have a couple "bonus" songs in the basic 10-13 Im planning on from a separate project - I think a few others have done "split" ep's of two different styles/projects in the past

Thanks for the reply. That's good to know.

Perhaps I'd better start :dry:

More
3 weeks 18 hours ago #462 by Ringmod
Ringmod replied the topic: Sampling our own 'legacy' material?
Sampling my own legacy material is something I have always done for my projects. It's a tried and true technique for establishing a palette of sounds that goes back to the earliest days of electronic music and it's not even close to cheating in my opinion.

More
3 weeks 14 hours ago #471 by Jahn
Jahn replied the topic: Sampling our own 'legacy' material?
Heck I think it’s in the spirit of RPM to even take the “greatest hits” of old RPM tracks and cover your own stuff with a 2018 feel. I may go that way myself this year.
The following user(s) said Thank You: wilsun

More
3 weeks 2 hours ago #493 by el-bo

Ringmod wrote: Sampling my own legacy material is something I have always done for my projects. It's a tried and true technique for establishing a palette of sounds that goes back to the earliest days of electronic music and it's not even close to cheating in my opinion.

Are you sampling longer breaks/sections/motifs, or just hits?

More
3 weeks 2 hours ago - 3 weeks 2 hours ago #494 by el-bo

Jahn wrote: Heck I think it’s in the spirit of RPM to even take the “greatest hits” of old RPM tracks and cover your own stuff with a 2018 feel. I may go that way myself this year.

My previous entries are not in the 'hits' style, but there's definitely some gold in them there tracks, Laddy :dry:
Last Edit: 3 weeks 2 hours ago by el-bo.

More
3 weeks 2 hours ago #495 by el-bo
This idea might be done before it's even started, as my projects are so unorganised, with missing plugins etc (Over the years, have got rid of much of the unnecessary g.a.s purchases), and...just...

Needs some serious housekeeping.

More
2 weeks 6 days ago - 2 weeks 6 days ago #503 by wilsun
wilsun replied the topic: Sampling our own 'legacy' material?
My half of my third RPM album used samples of old jams I've recorded years ago. I dug through some really old recordings of me and my buddies just messing around, used the best bit of that jam, looped it, and built songs out of it. I have to say, two of those songs have become my personal favorites.

Jahn wrote: Heck I think it’s in the spirit of RPM to even take the “greatest hits” of old RPM tracks and cover your own stuff with a 2018 feel. I may go that way myself this year.

I've been thinking the same thing. Last night, I was debating whether to force out new songs I don't have, or rework some old RPM songs... sort of like a remix album.

Do remix albums count as an RPM entry?
Last Edit: 2 weeks 6 days ago by wilsun.

Time to create page: 0.374 seconds