Sampling our own 'legacy' material?

More
2 weeks 4 days ago #509 by el-bo
el-bo replied the topic: Sampling our own 'legacy' material?

wilsun wrote: My half of my third RPM album used samples of old jams I've recorded years ago. I dug through some really old recordings of me and my buddies just messing around, used the best bit of that jam, looped it, and built songs out of it. I have to say, two of those songs have become my personal favorites.

Great stuff! Glad this is something that seems to have 'form', here.

Where are the tracks?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 weeks 4 days ago #510 by wilsun
wilsun replied the topic: Sampling our own 'legacy' material?

el-bo wrote:

wilsun wrote: My half of my third RPM album used samples of old jams I've recorded years ago. I dug through some really old recordings of me and my buddies just messing around, used the best bit of that jam, looped it, and built songs out of it. I have to say, two of those songs have become my personal favorites.

Where are the tracks?

Sure! Here they are:
alonetone.com/wng801/tracks/run-single-edit
alonetone.com/wng801/tracks/wish-single-edit
If you're interested in how the original recordings sound like, I can upload them somewhere too.

More
2 weeks 4 days ago #511 by klandry
klandry replied the topic: Sampling our own 'legacy' material?

Jahn wrote: Heck I think it’s in the spirit of RPM to even take the “greatest hits” of old RPM tracks and cover your own stuff with a 2018 feel. I may go that way myself this year.

I've been thinking the same thing. Last night, I was debating whether to force out new songs I don't have, or rework some old RPM songs... sort of like a remix album.

Do remix albums count as an RPM entry?

To my mind, there are no true hard and fast rules other than, "Don't get Dave sued."
I say, go for the remix.
The following user(s) said Thank You: wilsun

More
2 weeks 4 days ago #513 by Aged Machine
Aged Machine replied the topic: Sampling our own 'legacy' material?
My 2017 RPM effort featured about 4 tracks that started out as music for an ill-fated project with a tempestuous and possibly mentally ill vocalist, I pulled out the vocals and reimagined/rearranged/filled in with synths and made them into something new to 'reclaim' my work from the pits of hell... so ... yeah. Go for it.

More
2 weeks 4 days ago #514 by el-bo

wilsun wrote:

el-bo wrote:

Where are the tracks?

Sure! Here they are:
alonetone.com/wng801/tracks/run-single-edit
alonetone.com/wng801/tracks/wish-single-edit
If you're interested in how the original recordings sound like, I can upload them somewhere too.

Thanks. I probably could have worded that a bit more subtly. I did think afterwards to ask to also hear the originals, but thought I'd wait to see if you were open to sharing.

Will check them all out.

More
2 weeks 4 days ago #516 by el-bo
Digging 'Run'. Giving me nostalgic vibes going back to the late 80's/early 90's 'Madchester' scene.

Curious to hear the original.

More
2 weeks 3 days ago #518 by wilsun
wilsun replied the topic: Sampling our own 'legacy' material?

el-bo wrote: Digging 'Run'. Giving me nostalgic vibes going back to the late 80's/early 90's 'Madchester' scene.

Curious to hear the original.

Thanks! I was going for late 80's/early 90's Shoegaze, but I'll take Madchester! I'll PM you the original jam recordings.
I'll go listen to some Happy Mondays now...

More
2 weeks 3 days ago - 2 weeks 3 days ago #520 by el-bo

wilsun wrote: I'll go listen to some Happy Mondays now...

Actually, I was thinking more of 'Stone Roses', but shoe-gazy does it.
Last Edit: 2 weeks 3 days ago by el-bo.

More
2 weeks 3 days ago #521 by ali_kilpatrick
ali_kilpatrick replied the topic: Sampling our own 'legacy' material?

It is well known that Eno still has hundreds of hours of unused tape in his private library and, as outlined in the book 'More Dark Than Shark', the making of records such as On Land (EG 1982) involved feeding unheard tape into the mix, constant feeding and remixing, subtracting and "composting". In reality no-one will ever fully understand Eno's methods of working in the studio and how they produce results. As he says himself in the letter with regard to 1983's Apollo: Soundtracks (EG): "...so many processings and reprocessings - it's a bit like making soup from the leftovers of the day before, which in turn was made from leftovers..."

Hey, if it's good enough for Eno , it's fine by me!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lunarsight

More
2 weeks 3 days ago #522 by Aged Machine
Aged Machine replied the topic: Sampling our own 'legacy' material?
You know, you talk so hip, but you twisted my melon, man.

Time to create page: 0.359 seconds