Sampling our own 'legacy' material?

More
2 weeks 3 days ago - 2 weeks 3 days ago #524 by Xerophile
Xerophile replied the topic: Sampling our own 'legacy' material?
I've got a bunch of drum kit recordings from a gig last summer on an old Zoom H4, including just some context-free improv... might chop some up as a starting point for a track (or more). This is a pretty new machine as far as music making goes, so besides a handful of unfinished tracks I don't really have access to the years of unfinished or scrapped project files on my (currently non-booting) older workstation to dig into. I don't feel quite right about finishing a track that's already had hours of work put in and calling it "new," but maybe some of these more recent unfinished projects will get sampled judiciously into new tracks. I at least have a couple of short synth loops I made for future use, and that future use is probably this month (as well as a bunch of experimental VCVRack virtual modular patches made mostly for self-educational purposes, but also ripe for sampling...)
Last Edit: 2 weeks 3 days ago by Xerophile.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 week 4 days ago #655 by williram
williram replied the topic: Sampling our own 'legacy' material?
my thoughts on this are Go For It!!

even if you had sat at a drum set right now, that same drum set has been recorded over and over again. If your using samples from that drum set to build new drum tracks, your still kind of making new recordings, aren't you?

IronAngel, well put & I am and will be re-imagining most of my rpm 2018 album with some new songs as well, collected from different projects, including an acoustic duo act I was in The Solutionists, just making the songs different.

More
1 week 23 hours ago #740 by el-bo
el-bo replied the topic: Sampling our own 'legacy' material?
Not really kept up with this, as I've kinda let music slide so far this month.

I think that the sampling thing is a wash. One reason is that it is a type of workflow that i am not yet comfortable with. However, the main reason is that many of the pieces I did check out, thinking they might prove worthy of nothing more than sample fodder, are actually pieces that deserve being finished, in their current forms.

Either way, I think it might be an idea that I shelve till next year's challenge. That gives me time to get some sampling and slicing skills in the bag.

Thanks everyone for contributing! :)

Time to create page: 0.274 seconds