What's new for you this year?

More
1 month 3 days ago #170 by asamford23
asamford23 replied the topic: What's new for you this year?
i've acquired some great new plugins during Waves big sale over the holidays.... been having a lot of fun with the Abbey Road Reverb among a couple others....

also got a new toy, the Avid Eleven Guitar Rack which has lately become pretty affordable for how awesome it is.... so I get to track with my guitar tone now instead of recording clean and then finding the sound later.... which is awesome. (i can also send a clean signal to the DAW simultaneously so I still have the option to mix with the old system....)

i acquired a new super cheapo Epiphone guitar, but it is in need of a good setup and I either need to learn how to do that or find someone to do it for me... so it may or may not make an appearance during these sessions.... probably be relying on my trusty Edwards for most of the guitars... and with the Eleven Rack, it's definitely gonna be a loud guitar rock oriented record, but then again they did release a new version of Analog Laboratory and got some of their new artist presets which are really cool, and give me some instant go-to synth sounds, so it's gonna get weird and spacy like always i imagine. hahaha

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 month 1 day ago #198 by Jim Phillips
Jim Phillips replied the topic: What's new for you this year?
The RPM challenge is new to me this year :cheer: I'm really looking forward to it, though I will be using my new Presonus Audiobox and Studio One. I started recording years ago on a 4 track, then a 'studio in a box' (Zoom MRS 1608), but this is my first time recording onto a laptop so I think the biggest challenge for me will be finding my way around the DAW. Does anyone else here use Studio One? I think I may be a regular on the gear and technical threads hehe

More
1 month 1 day ago #202 by Alan Evil
Alan Evil replied the topic: Everything Old is New Again...
I've done all but one RPM Challenge since they started (is that 10 of them?) so there've been big changes over the years, but this one's a little different:
I'm bringing my "old" desktop recording computer back from the grave (new power source & new SSHD) so that I can return to using Live Suite the way I'm used to. USB interface recording simply had too much latency to use the FX either for monitoring while tracking or to play guitar through while tracking & even made playing the VST instruments via midi clunky feeling. I'm returning to my old M-Audio Delta 44 this year and I'll probably upgrade that to a 1010 before the year is over. The days of the affordable recording PCI card are gone, it appears, but luckily there are still hundreds of M-Audio cards floating around eBay.

Otherwise the only gear I've invested in over the last year consists of a new ISP Technologies Stealth Pro stereo power amp (pretty cool, with the power source it ways less than 5 pounds and puts out a clean 150w/side at 4ohms) and 4 single 12" cabinets I built over the summer. I wish I had the kind of room I'd need to capture the sound of these speakers with mics. They're closed boxes made of butt joined pine sides with birch fronts. There are two straight faced cabinets (these also have birch ply backs) meant to face the audience and two wedges that can either sit on top of the 2 straight face cabs, angled up at my head or on their side to fire in line with the other 2, sit on the floor as monitors, or be the only 2 I use in small venues where they'll still hit my ears from behind but also go out to the audience. I dyed the pine purple and the birch yellow with tie dye dyes and then sealed them with spar urethane resulting in boxes that project bass and low mid out of the sides (& back in the case of the wedges) delivering a huge sound from a small box. I'd post pictures, but that doesn't seem to be an option.

More
4 weeks 2 days ago #236 by Dweeb
Dweeb replied the topic: What's new for you this year?
[This f**king thing...]

So...many...knobs... : O
The following user(s) said Thank You: carrier_signal

More
4 weeks 1 day ago #262 by Smokey
Smokey replied the topic: What's new for you this year?
The impetus for me doing the RPM challenge this year is actually a new piece of gear.

Last November I bought an Akai MPC X. It's pretty much everything I’ve ever wanted in an MPC sampler. I’ve been going through the manual and tutorials but have yet to create anything new with it. So, I’m going to try to use the MPC X for the majority of my production next month. I have a few IKEA shelves filled with dollar bin and garage sale vinyl that I’ve been collecting for the past 10 years. Now is the time to do the deep dive for samples.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alan Evil

More
4 weeks 1 day ago - 4 weeks 1 day ago #263 by Soundsmith Kamachi
Soundsmith Kamachi replied the topic: What's new for you this year?
Last addition for this year`s RPM (promised!):

www.ikmultimedia.com/products/iloudmm/

Awesome tiny monitor speakers, very transparent sound, bass could be heavier, though, but then, noone is perfect :-)
Last Edit: 4 weeks 1 day ago by Soundsmith Kamachi.

More
4 weeks 1 day ago #264 by jarrettosborn
jarrettosborn replied the topic: What's new for you this year?
I just put together my drum room at my house, which I’ve never had before. So, while I won’t have the benefit of recording drums at a nice studio, I’ll have a room where I can record and play whenever I want. Super psyched.

More
4 weeks 1 day ago #265 by onewordheadline
onewordheadline replied the topic: What's new for you this year?

jarrettosborn wrote: I just put together my drum room at my house, which I’ve never had before. So, while I won’t have the benefit of recording drums at a nice studio, I’ll have a room where I can record and play whenever I want. Super psyched.

Any newcomers who don't already know: You should be pumped Jarrett is doing this again. His albums ( theanchoragedrift.bandcamp.com/ ) are excellent.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jarrettosborn, Alan Evil

More
4 weeks 1 day ago #268 by klandry
klandry replied the topic: What's new for you this year?

onewordheadline wrote:

jarrettosborn wrote: I just put together my drum room at my house, which I’ve never had before. So, while I won’t have the benefit of recording drums at a nice studio, I’ll have a room where I can record and play whenever I want. Super psyched.

Any newcomers who don't already know: You should be pumped Jarrett is doing this again. His albums ( theanchoragedrift.bandcamp.com/ ) are excellent.

Yes, Jarrett is AMAZING... Honestly, there are times I wonder why he isn't filling stadiums.

This is my favorite from the man: alonetone.com/jarrettosborn/tracks/iris-of-the-valley

"Vines" is one of my favorite albums of all time, and I'm not limiting myself to RPM albums. It's that good.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jarrettosborn, Alan Evil

More
3 weeks 6 days ago #288 by DollButcher
DollButcher replied the topic: What's new for you this year?
Oh man, where do I even start.

On my side (Chris from Doll Butcher) I have my new prized possession - a Warmoth baritone telemaster/jazzcaster (castermaster?) - black korina body, Joe Barden Pickups, maple neck, hand tested electronics, top quality throughout. I designed and built it myself but Warmoth did 99% of the work by cutting, painting and routing the parts. I built up a bunch of pedals including a tube to fet conversion of a Sunn Model T, a perfect RAT (all components tested to within a 1% tolerance), a custom reverb with effects loop in the feedback loop. I also have an Access Virus C synth that will likely make its way onto the album.

On the other side (my brother Adam) he's got an ESP 7 string with one of those killer evertune bridges - seriously amazing. He's got a couple Moogs, the new drummer from another mother module and the sub 37. He also has another ESP also with an evertune but this one is a six string. Since last year he has also upgraded his Helix so we should have tons of killer tones.

We will likely revisit previous noise avenues like code generated chiptunes or some other code meets music and chaos sound generator, but that's so new it hasn't even been created yet!

Lots of new toys and lots of cool ideas, this one's gonna be fuuuun!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lunarsight, onewordheadline

Time to create page: 0.370 seconds