Microphones : Question

More
2 weeks 5 days ago - 2 weeks 5 days ago #442 by Lunarsight
Lunarsight created the topic: Microphones : Question
I have a SHURE vocal microphone, and I think it has a short in the wire (from me tripping over it multiple times). I noticed I can disconnect the microphone from the cable - the cable has one side with three holes that connects it to the base of the microphone, and the other end is a standard audio jack.

Is that cable something generic enough that I can just walk into a music store and get it replaced, or would I have to reach out to the manufacturer?
Last Edit: 2 weeks 5 days ago by Lunarsight. Reason: Minor correction - the three holes are coming out of the cable. Prongs are on the microphone side.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 weeks 5 days ago #444 by Matt Parker
Matt Parker replied the topic: Microphones : Question
Yep, that’s standard. Just ask for XLR to 1/4” jack.

More
2 weeks 5 days ago #445 by IronAngel
IronAngel replied the topic: Microphones : Question
It's a slightly "weird" or uncommon cable, so your music store may not have one in stock. If you do have to order one, look at the price. If it's over about 15 bucks, seriously consider ordering a Pyle Pdmic78. They tend to go for around 12-15 online, and come with the exact cable you need, and hey, bonus mic! I just checked amazon, 14 bucks and free shipping, though it won't be in hand for a week.

Is it a real 57? Nope. Does it work pretty well? Yep. It is a transformerless 57 clone - ie, "pre modded". A touch less presence peak, a bit more even in response, and slightly clearer high end at typical impedance most mixers have.

apples to apples comparison video (and there are dozens more out there) to get an idea of the differences in voice -

I have a pair of both Shure sm57s and these Pyles. As long as they are not both on the same source at the same time, they work great - because the transformer flips the phase in the shure, if they are both on the same source (like dual mic'ing a guitar speaker) you get phase interference. Other musicians in the house don't realize Im running a 15 dollar mic and think the slight difference is eq on the board or differences in placement or what have you.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lunarsight, mattferrara, SoBaEx

More
2 weeks 5 days ago #463 by Dweeb
Dweeb replied the topic: Microphones : Question
Is this an SM 57 or SM 58? Does your interface actually have an XLR jack somewhere? If so, you should just get a regular XLR cable and use that.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lunarsight

More
2 weeks 4 days ago #484 by IronAngel
IronAngel replied the topic: Microphones : Question
Dweeb has an excellent point - if the interface has xlr, its way better to use that - you will get cleaner signal and xlr>1/4 will give

More
2 weeks 4 days ago #487 by Xerophile
Xerophile replied the topic: Microphones : Question

Dweeb wrote: Is this an SM 57 or SM 58? Does your interface actually have an XLR jack somewhere? If so, you should just get a regular XLR cable and use that.

Yep, this. Although OP said "vocal mic" so I am going to assume it is a 58?

More
2 weeks 4 days ago #491 by Lunarsight
Lunarsight replied the topic: Microphones : Question
<quote>
Is this an SM 57 or SM 58? Does your interface actually have an XLR jack somewhere? If so, you should just get a regular XLR cable and use that.
</quote>

It says Shure PG-58 on it. (I'm not sure what the difference between the SM's and PG's are, but my microphone is an older one.)

I determined the cable running from the microphone is a XLR female three prong, but the other end is just a standard 1/4 stereo jack. I was able to find a replacement cable on Amazon for $8.

Unfortunately, my audio interface doesn't have an XLR connection itself - it just has the standard 1/4 audio input. (I use a guitar amplifier to plug the vocal microphone into, which I'm guessing is unorthodox.)

Thanks for all the advice. I'm more of a software guy, so I'm bit clueless with the physical hardware sometimes.

More
2 weeks 4 days ago #497 by mattferrara
mattferrara replied the topic: Microphones : Question
The PG58 is just a cheaper version of the SM58. There are structural differences (the PG had an on/off switch and presumably can’t be used as a hammer the way a SM58 can), and in terms of sound there are subtle differences and PG picks up a lot more noise, but it’ll get the job done.

More
2 weeks 4 days ago #498 by JonathanR
JonathanR replied the topic: Microphones : Question
That's not a stereo jack, it's a balanced jack like the female one but the jack version. It won't work properly if you stick it in a mono socket.You need a standard XLR cable and stick one of these on the end

cpc.farnell.com/neutrik/na2mp/xlr-jack-a...qEAQYAyABEgIIHPD_BwE

unless (as someone said) you have an XLR jack on your interface.

More
2 weeks 4 days ago #500 by Dweeb
Dweeb replied the topic: Microphones : Question
I am not sure if XLR-to-Stereo cables exist, so Lunarsight is probably just using the wrong term. The cable he describes will probably work, and is likely the most appropriate one for this model mic.
The following user(s) said Thank You: L17Tim

Time to create page: 0.359 seconds