How Do You Battle The 'Time' Issue? Tactics Please ...

More
1 week 4 days ago #722 by GumboStu
GumboStu replied the topic: How Do You Battle The 'Time' Issue? Tactics Please ...
My tactic is to pretend I'm not panicking and allow the urgency to shine forth!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 week 3 days ago #726 by DollButcher
DollButcher replied the topic: How Do You Battle The 'Time' Issue? Tactics Please ...
It may cause a stir with some folks who prefer analog everything but using digital wherever possible is without a doubt the best way to move fast. In 2018 it's extremely easy and relatively inexpensive to have professionally recorded drums and an army of amps and effects at your fingertips. In Doll Butcher we can change the amps on a song in 2 clicks. For drums we have absolute control over every little thing - individual drum dynamic ranges, tuning, humanized velocities, adjustable percent based swing feel, room mics, overheads, mic bleed, everything and it's all with thousands of real recorded samples. We use a digital environment to make recording as frictionless as possible, which is the name of the game in optimizing speed. Our tech stack is 90% the reason we get an album written and recorded in 28 days (can you tell we're technologists?). Here's what we're running in case you're curious:
  1. FL Studio : This is a powerful software originally designed for beat making. I've seen people build careers off of this software and while it's no ProTools or anything it does everything you need for basic song production and does so in an easy to use/easy to learn interface. It does have the unfortunate distinction of only really working on PC though, don't try it on Mac.
  2. BFD Eco : BFD from FXpansion is an amazing drum plugin that fits into FL Studio as a virtual instrument. The Eco version that we have has a few full kits to choose from - ludwig (acrylic), pearl masters, gretsch and more. And a ton of basic cymbals from zildjian (As, Ks, and even the old heavy Zs), sabian, and paiste. This plugin coupled with FL Studio's "piano roll" makes it extremely easy to incorporate realistic sounding drums into beats that you write yourself.
  3. Amplitube 4 : Amplitube is an amp sim software that fits into FL studio mixer tracks. It comes with basic amps and effects and can be extended. This software allows you to amp and reamp your recorded (or live) guitars to your heart's content. They work with real amp companies to offer official sims,
    we have the Orange extension with rockerverbs, thunderverbs, and even the tiny terror.
  4. Dropbox : When I change a file on the east coast my brother gets the file instantly in mid-west. It also saves previous versions of our files so we can go back to yesterday and pull up an old mix if we must. And most importantly it stores the data in the cloud so if a hard drive fails we don't really lose anything but the time it takes to redownload the material.

With this basic setup we can just plug in and hear the final product, we write close to fully mixed so it's just fine tweaking at the end, and after a few years of tweaking and saving presets our 4th RPM album is sounding great straight out of the gate.

More
1 week 3 days ago #727 by L17Tim
L17Tim replied the topic: How Do You Battle The 'Time' Issue? Tactics Please ...
I could go into my whole layout of a schedule and a Trello board and how we use it to wrangle 5-6 different people in different parts of the world on different schedules, but here's a simple outline that works for me.

1. Write/outline the songs ahead of time. I usually have loose scratch demos done against flat drum loops in January. This gives me the chance to decide on tempo, arrangement, etc. Songs still change in February, often by quite a bit, but it allows me to lock in my vision. Ideally, I will over-write so that I can trim a song or two. I also nearly always come up with at least one more song in February.
2. Record the demos as quickly as possible. Get the scratch tracks for anything that requires collaboration down within the first 2-3 days.
3. Record all of the first pass parts by Feb 10. This is important.
4. Clean up the recording, parts, etc. by Feb 20. In other words, finish, or at least finish as much as you can while waiting for that last drum track or backing vocal from two lovely ladies in Cornwall.
5. Mix and master across the last week.
6. Take time off and stop listening to your album. You probably hate it by the end of the month. Take a little time away and then come back and polish up the good bits to share with others.

The nice part about the 10 day blocks is that you can get way ahead in certain cases and it takes the pressure off. For example, I have four songs already in my "ready for mixing" list. That means I only have to finish six others in the next 8 days to be on schedule. It makes it easier not to freak out if something takes time out of your schedule.

More
1 week 3 days ago #729 by ChristopherGBrown
ChristopherGBrown replied the topic: How Do You Battle The 'Time' Issue? Tactics Please ...
This year is my first solo attempt in a while, and my plan is to get the songs "releasable" as soon as possible. Basically, have a chord structure and vocals for everything, and then fill in the details later. I'm going to be doing most of the lead vocals this Saturday, and hopefully at that point I *could* submit if I wanted, but I'll likely be tweaking and overdubbing until the last possible second. The last time I tried to do a solo run I was way too particular about getting tones first. Get songs first, then tones second.

Time to create page: 0.290 seconds