How Do You Do...It

More
1 month 1 week ago #63 by October6th
October6th replied the topic: How Do You Do...It
Wow! Brilliant answers and advice, thanks for taking the time all, I feel doubly inspired now. I've written 10 titles, that's all I'm going to do for now. I'll see where they lead next month. Can't wait to get cracking. Thanks again!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 month 1 week ago #66 by mattferrara
mattferrara replied the topic: How Do You Do...It
Have fun, don’t be afraid to reach out to others for help or advice, don’t aim for perfection, and most of all back up all your digital files. :)

More
1 month 1 week ago #70 by Pizza Snakes
Pizza Snakes replied the topic: How Do You Do...It
I'm doing this for the first time to. I'm a bit simple and ridiculous so all I've done for prep is create a stupid project name and draw some artwork for shits and giggles, I'm also writing a list of song names I think ive got about 50 so far. That way i can think of the narrative as it goes.
I've also got to grips with logic and created a playlist on spotify to pump me up rocky montage style on the tram to work.

More
1 month 1 week ago #77 by catfingers
catfingers replied the topic: How Do You Do...It
This all sounds very sensible to me. You might need to get some tacky LED lights for your studio situation as well. I find that helps

More
1 month 1 week ago #79 by Aged Machine
Aged Machine replied the topic: How Do You Do...It
Lava Lamp. Been part of my studio for over two decades.
The following user(s) said Thank You: L17Tim

More
1 month 1 week ago #82 by wilsun
wilsun replied the topic: How Do You Do...It
I remember my first RPM... not that it was so long ago but I have a fondness for the first one. The whole thing was so naive in a way, I didn't know what I was doing, everything was new, and the entire thing was a learning process.

The people here are incredibly supportive, so don't be afraid to ask for help!

More
1 month 4 days ago #194 by transitapparent
transitapparent replied the topic: How Do You Do...It
I have notebooks full of ideas. Some are just song titles, some are just a line, others are almost completed songs. When it’s time for RPM, I go through and look at my notebooks and see if anything jumps out at me. I’ve only finished 2. 2010 and 2014. The first one, I tried hard to make it as good as I could and barely finished. The second was written and recorded on a cheap tablet in a hotel room in a matter of maybe 2 weeks with quite a few of them being written in a matter of minutes. The creativity was flowing. I actually did 2 in 14 but the second didn’t get submitted. It all started with a drum loop that went on for 35 minutes and then I connected 4 or 5 songs together with some noodling around on the guitar here and there. I think it’s definitely the most creative piece I’ve ever written. I don’t remember why I didn’t submit it.

More
1 month 4 days ago #196 by Dweeb
Dweeb replied the topic: How Do You Do...It
I make sure that I have something to record on February 1st. That ensures that I will at least have SOMETHING to work on if I am completely blocked otherwise.

I have never really had more than two or three songs ready to go. In fact, usually my favorite song ends up being the one that I yank from my wazoo on February 27th. (Or maybe that's just the one I'm least tired of...)

As for "waypoints", I just assume I have three days for each song. (Yes, I KNOW it's only 2.8 days. I try not to think about it) So I just divide the day of the month by the number of songs that seem "done" and if the result is less than 3, I feel like I'm doing OK. This makes that crap filler song I spend 2 hours on especially valuable! :)

Note: I am not sure anybody else does it in this haphazard way.

More
1 month 4 days ago #199 by Jim Phillips
Jim Phillips replied the topic: How Do You Do...It
I'm really enjoying seeing how varied people's tactics are (and have been in previous challenges). Thanks for the sharing it is really helpful! This is my first RPM Challenge so I am going to try a variety of approaches, seeing this as an opportunity explore what works for me. I'm using a new recording system so I am trying to avoid over complicating the music to get some time to explore plug ins and tools etc. And allowing time for highly likely problem solving in week 4!
My as yet untested tactics, so far;
Getting some song titles/ themes on paper - I don't want to waste time twiddling my thumbs and scratching my head for 'song ideas' in Feb.
Sorting a few chord progressions in advance, riffs and melodies so I can get stuck into recording quickly, though these are just a few 'starting point' ideas and I genuinely don't know how any tracks will end up (I see that as part of the fun with this challenge).
I plan on just having rough themes/ titles for some of the tracks, with no preplanned musical ideas at all. Seeing what emerges.
I plan on getting all the tracks 'mapped in' in the first couple of weeks (giving week 3 for overdubs/ replacing any disastrous tracks and week 4 for mixing and ensuring I don't lose my voice in week 4 and can instead use the time to problem solve or refine mixes).
I am planning on keeping an open mind with regards vocal songs/ instrumentals - I'd like to wait and see if vocals are beneficial for each piece or not (seeing my voice as an optional instrument rather than my previous default setting of thinking I must write a 'song')
All this is pretty 'pie in the sky' and yet to be tested, but some of this is based on what others have commented and some on knowing what I am like, he he. Thanks again for all the sharing, it has helped with my plans!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alan Evil

More
1 month 4 days ago - 1 month 4 days ago #203 by Alan Evil
Alan Evil replied the topic: How Do You Do...It
I've done all but one RPM Challenge as myself, and the one I missed I submitted a collaborative album I engineered and mastered and two other years I've finished 2nd albums as a member of bands. The first year I actually did it according to the original "rules" and started everything on day 1. That album ended up having several songs on it that I still perform and had a consistent DIY/punk-pop feel. I've done a couple of albums that were instrumentals on purpose that I built like I usually do with putzing around in Live until something grabs me and then building on that. One year my song writing fell so far behind by mid month that I switched gears and recorded a set meant to sound like an instrumental power trio. I'd kind of forgotten about that and it popped up on random play a couple of months ago and I was surprised at how much I liked it. I've recorded a whole band performing 10 songs in an afternoon and then gone back and re-tracked the vocals, I had two old friends come to town for a week and we beat out a good album of our songs from the 90's (I had to be the iron willed producer to get that one done, leaving most of my tracks to be recorded after they went back home, we literally recorded the last of one guy's tracks an hour before we took him to the airport), I was doing an electronica duo with a friend and we knocked out an album's worth of stuff in one evening that only took me a couple of days to edit (that was the year MY album fell by the wayside because of a major relationship break-up), I've done an album made up of aborted sessions from the previous year, and I've gone half from scratch and half old or partially completed songs.

This year I've written a list of song titles/concepts ahead of time and when day 1 comes I'll pick one and write something for it, hopefully finishing it that day. I'd really like to have all the songs written and demoed by the end of week so I can spend the next week tracking and then take my time mixing... that's the hope. There'll probably be a combination of starting a song and doing all the tracking that night as well as pulling what little hair I have out over a song that simply won't cooperate, forcing me to bring in something from the archives or writing something new at the 11th hour. There's really no way to know today what will have happened at the end of February, and that's kind of the point.

Good luck and happy recording!
Last Edit: 1 month 4 days ago by Alan Evil. Reason: typos
The following user(s) said Thank You: superdaze

Time to create page: 0.340 seconds