How Do You Do...It

More
2 weeks 5 days ago #423 by JonathanR
JonathanR replied the topic: How Do You Do...It
Love it. I do something similar in Excel. I have tempo, key and featured instrument as columns too.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 weeks 5 days ago #443 by Matt Parker
Matt Parker replied the topic: How Do You Do...It
I do something like the spreadsheet, but I do it on old fashioned pen and paper, which given my profession is somewhat of anathema. I also make comprehensive notes using Logics notes feature, e.g which guitar and settings were used, what the knobs were set to on my interface etc. in case I have time to re-record a shoddily played part

More
2 weeks 5 days ago #446 by JonathanR
JonathanR replied the topic: How Do You Do...It
Yeah I put track notes on in Reaper.

More
2 weeks 5 days ago #448 by superdaze
superdaze replied the topic: How Do You Do...It
Well this is my first year so I had to do a bit of planning, before February I picked my theme and after that each theme for each song. Named and roughly picked the instruments for each song, and named and made the artwork for the album. It sounds a bit fabricated but I tried to create a vision of what kind of course the story would take and really tried to capture the atmosphere of each song in writing. The album name and artwork can always be changed last minute, but a little bit of design in the vein of the theme couldn't hurt. I planned to do 1 song in 2 days composition and arrangement (and semi-mix) wise and then mix 2 songs in 1 day, so basically finish 2 songs in 5 days. Although I got weirdly busy this week, on the brink of getting an extra and tiring part time job so I really hope I can keep up. Just finished the intro song this morning so I'll probably start the second one in the evening to save some time.

I'm actually sharing videos (vlogging I guess) as Instagram stories about all this throughout the month, I already covered the concept stage before February so those are gone for watching but I'm doing daily updates on my progress and plans. If anyone is interested in seeing that drop me a message for the username.

More
2 weeks 5 days ago #454 by KazzyLizz
KazzyLizz replied the topic: How Do You Do...It
Last year was my first. Here's how it went. I used a couple of older lyrics but most of the stuff I wrote during the month. I noticed that using old ideas was more difficult because I already had too strict opinions what the song should sound like. So I just worked on whatever new ideas, and if some song seemed too difficult to record, I rejected it and started working on something else. Some very good songs happened very spontaneously - some lyrics just came to mind and I recorded a new song quite quickly, almost accidentally.

Going to do it similar way this year. I have some ideas what the album might end up being like but I'm also flexible - if it becomes something entirely different than I had in mind, that's okay!

More
2 weeks 5 days ago #455 by angiefightscrime
angiefightscrime replied the topic: How Do You Do...It
hilarious!

More
2 weeks 5 days ago #456 by angiefightscrime
angiefightscrime replied the topic: How Do You Do...It
here's how my spread sheet looks this year

1. A 95 Drums Bass Guitars Vox Keys
2. A 95 Drums Bass Guitars Vox Keys
3. A 95 Drums Bass Guitars Vox Keys
4. A 95 Drums Bass Guitars Vox Keys
5. A 95 Drums Bass Guitars Vox Keys
6. A 95 Drums Bass Guitars Vox Keys
7. A 95 Drums Bass Guitars Vox Keys
8. A 95 Drums Bass Guitars Vox Keys

More
2 weeks 5 days ago - 2 weeks 5 days ago #457 by klandry
klandry replied the topic: How Do You Do...It
I always simply get the rhythm guitar for my first song done on the first night. Doing it for real typically has its share of snafus, but once I find a method (mic position, how loud I play, etc.), I pretty much stick with those settings for the remainder of the album in the hopes that the thing will have a nice consistent sound.

Each night after that, my goal is to record the vocals for the song from the previous day (having listened to it all day to make sure I know what syllables to accent, how exactly to deliver the lines, etc.). I will record as many as twenty vocal takes before I call it a night.

This album is slated to have twelve songs, so I should be finished recording on the thirteenth night.

After that (or during some free time), I'll typically mess around with some melodic picking possibilities, and spend the last couple of weeks mixing, recording those picked accents, re-recording some vocal lines if I really trainwrecked them on every take, etc.

This year, the whole process should be pretty streamlined since I already demoed the hell out of the tracks over the course of the last year and a half (including picking options), so for me, this year is all about execution.

Hopefully the end result sounds like what the songs were always meant to be.
Last Edit: 2 weeks 5 days ago by klandry.

More
2 weeks 5 days ago #458 by DirtySpirits
DirtySpirits replied the topic: How Do You Do...It
Our first year we were a duo CageyMF. The both of us took the first week off and wrote and wrote. I think we got six songs. We struggled to finish but we did. After that we added members and started recording as a live band. We usually bring in a few songs in January and jam them until we record. We wing the rest.

More
2 weeks 4 days ago #461 by digit2600
digit2600 replied the topic: How Do You Do...It
I never know what the hell I'm doing when I begin a project... Even halfway through it, I don't know.. I just start playing until shit sounds like a song. I do usually start writing and arranging some sort of drum structure (though it usually changes).. and then just go nuts for a few days with guitars and bass... And then I eventually find the motivation to yell and such... This usually comes after a day or so of drunkenly scribbling a bunch of nonsensical word salad into my notebook... then I mix it until I can't take it anymore. I've done the one month challenge thing once back in 2011, but every year I completely forget.. I decided to do it this year to annoy my wife, since she annoyed me with her novel writing month project. So how do I do it... a little bit of I don't really know, a little bit of noodling around, and a dash of vengeance, I suppose.

Time to create page: 0.421 seconds