Important tips to remember for RPM...

More
1 month 1 week ago #40 by Aged Machine
Aged Machine created the topic: Important tips to remember for RPM...
Well, this is a suggestion box, and these are suggestions.. just for people, not the site.

1) Save your work -- frequently. Every year it happens -- sometimes more than once -- Someone's long, sad blog about how all the work they've put into their album was lost, due to a computer or hard drive crash...

-=-=-=- PLEASE -- SAVE YOUR WORK. -=-=-=-
Back it up to the cloud if you can, or to an external backup device, or a CD or DVD. Save your song files every 10-15 minutes. Don't lose your efforts due to computer error, it's a terrible thing that can be easily prevented...

2) Keep an open mind. Maybe what you're making isn't what you had in mind at first, maybe you're making something not your usual style, sometimes this is the best learning experience you can have... and learning as you go is a great growth experience for any musician.

3) Interact with people - we're all here to do the same thing - make music / record an album. Many people are happy to share their talents, their advice, experience, songwriting tips, and more. You get out of it what you put in, and the community here is a great place for that to get started.

I'll step off my soapbox now and get back to synthesizers, being vocal isn't my strong point...
The following user(s) said Thank You: klandry, tonyhogard, L17Tim, robertjames1971, Pizza Snakes, Kavin., Ian James, onewordheadline, SoBaEx, Bigstarlet and 2 other people also said thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 month 3 days ago #179 by Tella
Tella replied the topic: Important tips to remember for RPM...
These are great tips!

I would also highlight the "open mind" bit. I think this is what RPM is best for— you don't have a ton of time to get precious, so all the more reason to experiment and operate outside your norms.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Aged Machine, L17Tim

More
1 month 3 days ago #180 by L17Tim
L17Tim replied the topic: Important tips to remember for RPM...
And..... moved.

Welcome to the all-new Tips and Tricks forum, folks!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Aged Machine, The Checkers Speech, tribalogical

More
1 month 2 days ago - 1 month 2 days ago #182 by klandry
klandry replied the topic: Important tips to remember for RPM...
If you plan on using a click track (which, believe it or not, I usually do - although many of the metronomically gifted here question that regularly with good reason), get all of your tracks set at the correct bpm for recording. For me, it takes a couple of run-throughs to really get it right.

And back everything up as you go. Seriously. There's a reason we keep bringing this up. You don't want to have to live through the pain of losing valuable material.
Last Edit: 1 month 2 days ago by klandry.
The following user(s) said Thank You: L17Tim

More
1 month 2 days ago - 1 month 2 days ago #184 by A Beautiful Scene
A Beautiful Scene replied the topic: Important tips to remember for RPM...

klandry wrote: If you plan on using a click track (which, believe it or not, I usually do - although many of the metronomically gifted hear question that regularly with good reason), get all of your tracks set at the correct bpm for recording. For me, it takes a couple of run-throughs to really get it right.

And back everything up as you go. Seriously. There's a reason we keep bringing this up. You don't want to have to live through the pain of losing valuable material.

(not directed at Keith just a tip for the general RPMer)
I Think using a metronome is fairly important. I get that you want you music to have that "real" feel but I promise the metronome only helps! The more layers you add the more you are going to wish you had something consistent in the beginning - However, even if it is just you guitar and voice, the metronome can make it sound really tight and professional -

Highly recommend using the metronome for any project.
Last Edit: 1 month 2 days ago by A Beautiful Scene.
The following user(s) said Thank You: klandry, Ian James, alkanetexe

More
1 month 2 days ago #185 by michaeltbraun
michaeltbraun replied the topic: Important tips to remember for RPM...
Using a metronome is a great tip. Sometimes, playing something without a set tempo sounds great to you, but after recording it and listening back, you realize places where something goes too fast or too slow. (For me, it's most often too fast. I find myself rushing to the next section, rather than holding something longer.)

But a metronome (or a click track) is just one way to help yourself stay in rhythm. If you have access to a program like GarageBand, try out some of their system drummers. You can put that on headphones as you play and record. I find having a drummer better for keeping me in rhythm than a simple metronome. Plus, you can control things like swing for jazzier tunes. When you are feeling the rhythm, you can hear it in your playing!
The following user(s) said Thank You: klandry

More
1 month 2 days ago #192 by Soundsmith Kamachi
Soundsmith Kamachi replied the topic: Important tips to remember for RPM...
Some more (maybe rather obvious) suggestions:

1. Listen to your recordings on different speakers when mastering the final version , including listening in a car. Do not use headphones as your sole reference.

2. Limit yourself regarding the gear you use. This applies especially for those working with virtual instruments and effects, but apparently also to the owners of fuzz pedals ;-) RPM is not about making a show of all your musical arsenal, but about recording an album. For example, for last year`s RPM I intentionally restricted myself to about half a dozen synths to give it a classic analogue synthesizer touch.

3. Set realistic targets - you will not write, score and record a complete symphony in 28/29 days

4. Set tollgates for your work, x songs to be done after 10 days, y songs after 20 etc., and also plan for time to master (see bullet 2.) and finalizing your album

5. Do not overproduce - there is never a thing likeTHE final mix.The first version of the Blade Runner soundtrack was picked by a guy from the record company of Vangelis, who was tired of waiting for the final mix, and just took the top one from the pile of tapes in Vangelis` studio. The master cut by Vangelis was published 20 (or was it 25?) years later
The following user(s) said Thank You: klandry, Lunarsight, onewordheadline, Bigstarlet, T.A.P., mdoggdx316

More
1 month 2 days ago #193 by klandry
klandry replied the topic: Important tips to remember for RPM...

Soundsmith Kamachi wrote: Some more (maybe rather obvious) suggestions:

1. Listen to your recordings on different speakers when mastering the final version , including listening in a car. Do not use headphones as your sole reference.

2. Limit yourself regarding the gear you use. This applies especially for those working with virtual instruments and effects, but apparently also to the owners of fuzz pedals ;-) RPM is not about making a show of all your musical arsenal, but about recording an album. For example, for last year`s RPM I intentionally restricted myself to about half a dozen synths to give it a classic analogue synthesizer touch.

3. Set realistic targets - you will not write, score and record a complete symphony in 28/29 days

4. Set tollgates for your work, x songs to be done after 10 days, y songs after 20 etc., and also plan for time to master (see bullet 2.) and finalizing your album

5. Do not overproduce - there is never a thing likeTHE final mix.The first version of the Blade Runner soundtrack was picked by a guy from the record company of Vangelis, who was tired of waiting for the final mix, and just took the top one from the pile of tapes in Vangelis` studio. The master cut by Vangelis was published 20 (or was it 25?) years later

Five OUTSTANDING tips.

More
1 month 2 days ago #197 by onewordheadline
onewordheadline replied the topic: Important tips to remember for RPM...
I also have some tips:

The following user(s) said Thank You: WeirdErnie, Andy Toomey

More
1 month 1 day ago #200 by angiefightscrime
angiefightscrime replied the topic: Important tips to remember for RPM...
don't forget the first rule of fight club, there is no fight club.

Time to create page: 0.409 seconds