Important tips to remember for RPM...

More
4 weeks 2 days ago #281 by DirtySpirits
DirtySpirits replied the topic: Important tips to remember for RPM...
we had to settle for just the 35 minutes of total turd balls in 2015. we had bad weather, illness, major illness, my wife's bday and Valentines day to contend with. We managed three sessions as a band. we recorded everything. Three of the songs were mapped out over our opening improv warm up jam. we pulled it together. it was an awesome adventure! terrible album! Win!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 weeks 2 days ago #282 by L17Tim
L17Tim replied the topic: Important tips to remember for RPM...

DirtySpirits wrote: my wife's bday and Valentines day

Glad to see I'm not the only one with this particularly issue. And this year is 50 with a BIG party during the last weekend of the month. WHEE!!!!

At least I've limited my business travel to only one 3-day trip in February. I hope...

More
4 weeks 2 days ago #283 by A Beautiful Scene
A Beautiful Scene replied the topic: Important tips to remember for RPM...
I generally continue to write over the course of the year. I have no band to speak of due to time constraints and life happening so I have plenty of time with my guitar alone.
I can write and demo about 25 to 30 songs and I pick he best 10 - 12.

Come February, I have a check list and a plan. most years I mapped the midi drums first and then move to Guitars and pianos - do the vocals last.

Last year was the first year I recorded live drums and it took longer than expected. So much so I lost time and was unable to get vocals on several tracks.

This year I am incorporating some help so I can concentrate on making the music and less on the button pushing. As silly as it sounds, having a person to just push the record button can be super helpful.

More
4 weeks 2 days ago #284 by L17Tim
I miss Lane Sullivan.

More
4 weeks 2 days ago #285 by jarrettosborn
jarrettosborn replied the topic: Important tips to remember for RPM...

A Beautiful Scene wrote: Last year was the first year I recorded live drums and it took longer than expected. So much so I lost time and was unable to get vocals on several tracks.

It’s so easy to get sucked into the time vortex of mixing drums. Next thing you know you’ve wasted 4 hours on which compression sounds best on the bottom snare mic.

More
4 weeks 2 days ago #286 by L17Tim

jarrettosborn wrote: It’s so easy to get sucked into the time vortex of mixing drums. Next thing you know you’ve wasted 4 hours on which compression sounds best on the bottom snare mic.

Well there's your problem - bottom snare mic.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jarrettosborn, wohali, alkanetexe, mathom

More
4 weeks 2 days ago #287 by A Beautiful Scene
A Beautiful Scene replied the topic: Important tips to remember for RPM...

L17Tim wrote: I miss Lane Sullivan.

I miss him a little. He's not dead...Just lying on a table. With real drums and Pianos at my disposal, he seems kind of useless. I do miss his upright bass playing though. He was like a machine.
The following user(s) said Thank You: L17Tim

More
4 weeks 1 day ago #295 by mick
mick replied the topic: Important tips to remember for RPM...
Gin
The following user(s) said Thank You: L17Tim, mattferrara, onewordheadline, Dweeb, wohali

More
4 weeks 1 day ago - 4 weeks 21 hours ago #302 by mattferrara
mattferrara replied the topic: Important tips to remember for RPM...
Also, one sure fire way to make sure you are able to create that perfect album this (and every) year is to donate to the RPM Challenge...
Last Edit: 4 weeks 21 hours ago by mattferrara.
The following user(s) said Thank You: wohali

More
4 weeks 21 hours ago #306 by mdoggdx316
mdoggdx316 replied the topic: Important tips to remember for RPM...
Remember that it's okay for this to be difficult! Each year there are moments where trying to write feels like pulling teeth, but those are the moments that force me to think outside of the box.
The following user(s) said Thank You: onewordheadline

Time to create page: 0.421 seconds