Important tips to remember for RPM...

More
3 weeks 3 days ago #311 by angiefightscrime
angiefightscrime replied the topic: Important tips to remember for RPM...
remember the challenge is to record some music, not that you think it's awesome. let us decide if it's awesome or not. i can't tell you how many throw away tunes i've had that have become hits in Thailand.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 weeks 3 days ago #312 by Lunarsight
Lunarsight replied the topic: Important tips to remember for RPM...

angiefightscrime wrote: remember the challenge is to record some music, not that you think it's awesome. let us decide if it's awesome or not. i can't tell you how many throw away tunes i've had that have become hits in Thailand.

Very true. The track you think is totally awesome will most likely get ignored, and another track you composed in five minutes with a nose harmonica will win you critical acclaim. It's weird how things work out like that.

Bonus tip : Always remember to sanitize your nose harmonica after every use. (Ideally, you want to have it dry-cleaned.)
The following user(s) said Thank You: capt_nemo_54

More
2 weeks 4 days ago #469 by 9Stitches
9Stitches replied the topic: Important tips to remember for RPM...
Wow, that’s a great list of prompts! Another one: every few lines on a page write,“I remember” then finish the sentences with brief memories. Sometimes the memories seem random, sometimes connected. It gets your imagination un-stumped.

More
2 weeks 4 days ago #470 by Kavity
Kavity replied the topic: Important tips to remember for RPM...

mattferrara wrote: Write a love letter from one random creature to another in the Monster Manual.

My favorite suggestion so far.

More
2 weeks 4 days ago - 2 weeks 4 days ago #496 by el-bo
el-bo replied the topic: Important tips to remember for RPM...
I'm gonna take a slightly different route in this, here, tips 'n' tricks thread:

- Get away from all screens, at least once an hour.

- Turn off all sound, at least once an hour.

- If you are sitting, then stand and stretch a few times an hour. If you are standing to record, compose etc., then sit or lay down.

- Keep hydrated (erm, that means water ;) ). If you are propelling yourself though this on caffeine, or alcohol (or both), then it's even more important to keep knocking back the water. Health matters aside, even minimal dehydration can affect cognitive function. And we need every bit of 'function' we can get to make it through this.

- Try to eat 'well'

- Keep sleep in mind: Many people will be torn between normal, daily responsibilities, and are grabbing as much RPM-time as they can, on the side. Working too late, long, pulling all-nighters etc., can sometimes prove fruitful, but decisions made in those hours don't always prove to be the best, and that maybe a couple of extra hours sleep will give a much better perspective.

- Try to cut down on other sonic/visual/time drains. If you are one of those working with a DAW to complete their project, then spending all your free-time surfing the web, social media sites etc. might end up being too much of a drain on the senses. Again, this is unavoidable if your 'normal', working life demands that kind of screen-time. I personally find to enjoy other music in my down-time, but I know others gain inspiration from doing so.

- Try Meditation, Yoga, going for a quiet walk, or just anything that relaxes you. Even choosing hard workouts can prove beneficial for relaxation, and getting rid of the kind of energy that might be distracting from the creative process

I'm sure there are more to add

DISCLAIMER: How everyone approaches the more whole-istic aspect of the challenge could wildly differ. No judgment here; this is just my opinion, based on the experience of a couple of RPM's NOT doing any of the above, and now with the intention of making sure I do all them :unsure:
Last Edit: 2 weeks 4 days ago by el-bo. Reason: Added some clarity to the disclaimer
The following user(s) said Thank You: klandry, Lunarsight, T.A.P., mdoggdx316

More
2 weeks 4 days ago #504 by mattferrara
mattferrara replied the topic: Important tips to remember for RPM...

el-bo wrote: - Keep sleep in mind: Many people will be torn between normal, daily responsibilities, and are grabbing as much RPM-time as they can, on the side. Working too late, long, pulling all-nighters etc., can sometimes prove fruitful, but decisions made in those hours don't always prove to be the best, and that maybe a couple of extra hours sleep will give a much better perspective

Last year I did a solo album and a band one, too, so in the final week I had like 4 nights in a row of one or two hours of sleep and I was a complete wreck on 3/1. Hoping to avoid that this year.

More
2 weeks 4 days ago #506 by el-bo
el-bo replied the topic: Important tips to remember for RPM...

mattferrara wrote:

el-bo wrote: - Keep sleep in mind: Many people will be torn between normal, daily responsibilities, and are grabbing as much RPM-time as they can, on the side. Working too late, long, pulling all-nighters etc., can sometimes prove fruitful, but decisions made in those hours don't always prove to be the best, and that maybe a couple of extra hours sleep will give a much better perspective

Last year I did a solo album and a band one, too, so in the final week I had like 4 nights in a row of one or two hours of sleep and I was a complete wreck on 3/1. Hoping to avoid that this year.

Indeed!

Both of my successful years ended in an all-nighter to finish. The projects suffered, as did my body :dry:

More
2 weeks 3 days ago #532 by Bigstarlet
Bigstarlet replied the topic: Important tips to remember for RPM...
Thanks for the reminders. I have been horrible about #3 the last few years, just because of time issues. Or just making time to get involved in these communities.

More
2 weeks 2 days ago #555 by GumboStu
GumboStu replied the topic: Important tips to remember for RPM...
Remember to Press 'Record'
The following user(s) said Thank You: mathom

More
2 weeks 1 day ago #567 by theporkboy
theporkboy replied the topic: Important tips to remember for RPM...
Does anyone have any good tips for complete noobs for approaching music composition? I've been recording some snippets of song ideas. Mostly it's all chord progression, bare bones ideas but no clear verse, chorus structure. I don't really have lyrics as an immediate goal just yet. I'm mostly wondering what a next step would be from there.

How many people are writing down tablature, chord, or sheet music when they write songs?

As a guitarist I've always had little things here and there I play but I've never intentionally crafted an entire song. I figured attempting this challenge would be a fun exercise but it's also more attainable than a novel for me.

Time to create page: 0.371 seconds