× Welcome to the Kunena forum!

Tell us and our members who you are, what you like and why you became a member of this site.
We welcome all new members and hope to see you around a lot!

How Do You Do...It

More
4 days 17 hours ago #45 by ali_kilpatrick
ali_kilpatrick replied the topic: How Do You Do...It
I rarely have anything written in advance - part of the fun in RPM comes from not knowing what you'll end up with at the end of the month! Good luck with your first, and have fun! :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 days 17 hours ago #49 by jcar
jcar replied the topic: How Do You Do...It
In a nutshell...

November and December is spent learning/practicing all the things that I think I want to try or do for the project. I am also doing this the rest of the year, but there is a definite project focus toward the end of the year.

January is where I try to start thinking of a theme or mindset for the project. Maybe I read certain books/comics and/or watch things that put me in whatever space I think I want to be in.

I write and record in February, nothing is pre-done. There is typically a plan of sorts - 2 weeks of sketching and ideas, sound design, composition. Then a week of picking which sketches work and arranging them. Then the last week is everything else. That last week is typically very busy with mixing, adding the magic dust, finalizing, and exporting everything.

I do use a spreadsheet to keep track of things like each songs/track status for:
arrangement, mix, sound design, eq/compression, reverb, pan, automation/effects, length - for the 35 minute lower limit, and whether they have been exported or not.

More
4 days 15 hours ago #50 by daedae
daedae replied the topic: How Do You Do...It
My advice is always to not get too hung up on the "rules.*"

Do you have some song you wrote 10 years ago that maybe you did a lousy recording of? Go ahead and rerecord it if you want.

Did you only get 9 tracks and 34:59? Who cares? If you really want to hit the threshold for submission, I am a proponent of just doing a little jam or making noise to fill it out. For that matter, did you only get 1 track? Who cares? That's one new piece of music that you finished, that didn't exist at the beginning of February.

And, most importantly: have fun!

*There are some "rules" that affect your ability to upload to the site, like doing covers or using non-royalty-free samples. I mean, feel free to ignore those, too, but those will be the songs you have find some other place to share :)

More
4 days 13 hours ago #51 by catfingers
catfingers replied the topic: How Do You Do...It
I use a lot of TV & movie dialog - even if this element get dropped form the final mix. So my preparation involves watching cannibal movies on Dailymotion etc listening out for good lines.

I agree with the 'not thinking about it' though I usually enjoy the journey more after it's over.

More
3 days 4 hours ago #63 by October6th
October6th replied the topic: How Do You Do...It
Wow! Brilliant answers and advice, thanks for taking the time all, I feel doubly inspired now. I've written 10 titles, that's all I'm going to do for now. I'll see where they lead next month. Can't wait to get cracking. Thanks again!

More
2 days 21 hours ago #66 by mattferrara
mattferrara replied the topic: How Do You Do...It
Have fun, don’t be afraid to reach out to others for help or advice, don’t aim for perfection, and most of all back up all your digital files. :)

Time to create page: 0.362 seconds